RE: mismatched dll

On 03 February 2006 02:34, Brian Dessent wrote:

> For example, suppose that the user installs Cygwin and then later
> installs CygwinBasedCommercialProduct (CBCP from here on.)  The CBCP
> installer plays nice, notices that the user has Cygwin installed with the
> most recent DLL, so it does not install its own copy.  Everyone is happy.
> But then say six months later the under removes Cygwin, unaware the CBCP
> was relying on its DLL, and now CBCP fails to start or fails in other
> strange ways.  From the standpoint of the user, he doesn't really care
> what the underlying reason is, his CBCP now doesn't work and it's
> obviously a CBCP bug.

  You talk like that's a bad thing.  I say that's /exactly/ what we *want* to happen.  Then the users will go beat up the CBCP
provider instead of coming and flooding the list with offtopic requests for support for a commercial product.  :-D Sounds like a
win-win to me!

> You can repeat this scenario in several
> permutations, say for example if there are two CBCPs installed on the
> system, and one is using the DLL provided by the other.
> Upgrade/downgrade/remove one and the other breaks.

  Yay!  Even better!  3PP fight!  As long as they're fighting each other they're not giving us any hassle!

> I think at the end of the day, user education as to the nature of the
> problem is really what is required.

  <hands Brian his LART>

    cheers,
      DaveK