RE: unmount drive in cygwin - is it possible

On 30 January 2006, Dave Korn wrote:
> On 30 January 2006 18:10, Mark Bevan wrote:
>
> > ntfsresize v1.12.1 (libntfs 8:1:0)
> > ERROR: Device '/cygdrive/e' is mounted read-write. You must 'umount' it
> > first.
> >
> > However there doesn't seem to be a way to unmount a disk in cygwin :
> >
> > $ umount /cygdrive/e
> > umount: /cygdrive/e: No such file or directory
> >
> > Maybe this because this because the underlying windows operating system
> > (Windows XP) doesn't allow for this or maybe I am not using the right
> > commands ?
>
>   Neither exactly.  Drives _can_ be unmounted by the underlying OS,

Not always. See e.g. 'chkdsk /f c:' and the OS won't unmount the fs.

> but cygwin doesn't provide any utility to do this.  The 'mount' and
> 'umount' commands in cygwin don't actually mount/unmount filing
> systems, they just allow you to make a unix-y view on the existing FS.
>
>   As to ntfsresize, it may be a weakness in the coding that it still
> requires the drive to be r/w even if you're only making a query for
> info it could read from an r/o drive,

Ntfsresize opens the volume r/o for query and r/o test runs if the volume
is unmounted or already r/o mounted. Both operations are rejected if it
finds that the volume is already r/w mounted.

Please note that the above error message says (if the port is right what
I didn't check) that the volume is already mounted (opened) r/w that's why
ntfsresize won't r/o open it.

	Szaka