Commands just hang

I've got a weird problem.

We have a private version of C-Kermit that has some changes
so that it gives me readline command recall.  Recently
it has started giving me strange behaviour.

If I am in kermit and at the command prompt and I try
to run some regular Cygwin command with an "!" like
"date", all works fine.  However, if I then telnet to
a remote system, escape back to Kermit's command mode
and type "!date" it just hangs.  This used to work.

From another window, "ps" shows the date command, but the
kill command says
   kill: 1020: Resource temporarily unavailable

Where 1020 was the process of the date command.

I can kill it with taskmanager, and if I then close the
telnet session I can do "!date" to my heart's content,

When the telnet session is there kermit will let me do
"!bash", and bash will respond.  However, if I type "date"
to bash, it will hang in the same manner?

This used to work.  It works on another cygwin system in the
office, so it is something that I've inadvertently done
to this system.  I installed the latest Cygwin today,
but that made no difference.
Any ideas where I should look?