RE: Cygwin 1.5.19 breaks my app

On 03 February 2006 19:22, Jeff R. Allen wrote:

> I upgraded to Cygwin 1.5.19-4 and my application started dying while
> initializing. As I started debugging it, I ran across the SEGV in
> pthread_key_create issue that has already been discussed on this list.
>
> I dutifully typed "continue", then my app got to main(). (My app uses
> std::string.) My app started running, then I hit the seg fault two more
> times as my app was trying to create more mutexes. The third seg fault
> seems to kill off my program. After continuing through the third one, I
> get this:
>
>   Program exited with code 030000000005.

> Any ideas how I should proceed? I'm not asking anyone to solve this for
> me yet, since I don't have a good enough handle on it yet to make a repro
> case. I'm just a little confused about this whole notion that Cygwin is
> now making and catching segv's on purpose. Pointers to detailed discusson
> on it would be welcome; all the threads I've found just say, "just type
> continue in gdb".

  I'm afraid you're probably going to have to get into some hardcore debugging of your program and find out _why_ it exits.  Are you
_sure_ that third SEGV is the same kind as the others, or is it perhaps a real SEGV and you overlooked the differences?  Or you
could run your program to that third SEGV, then try single-stepping it instead of continuing and see where it goes next and how it
gets from there to abort/exit.

    cheers,
      DaveK