Re: Running bash from cron

On Fri, 3 Feb 2006, Cygnut (sent by Nabble.com) wrote:

> Thanks Igor. I already uninstalled crons and did this
>
> cygrunsrv -I cron -p /usr/sbin/cron -a -D
> cygrunsrv -S cron

Why not "/usr/bin/cron-config"?

> I put a simple script in there like this
> 51 * * * * /tmp/doit.sh

You forgot to redirect I/O.  If this script produces any output (on either
stdout or stderr), cron will likely try to mail it to you, and fail, since
you probably don't have an smtp daemon running.

> ran crontab `cat the above file`
> crontab -l yields above
> net stop cron
> net start cron < i realize this may not be required, but I am trying everything before writing >

The two lines above are the same as "cygrunsrv -E cron; cygrunsrv -S cron".

> doit.sh is
>
> #!/bin/bash
> PATH=/usr/bin:/bin
> echo OK > /tmp/OK
>
> at 52 minutes no /tmp/OK file

Try also adding "/bin/date >> /tmp/OK" (just to make sure you know *when*
the output was produced).

> /var/log/cron.log just says cron started

Did you also look in the Windows Event Log?

> How can I troubleshoot this ? I really need it to work or I have to
> write my program in f*cking vbscript, which I hate.

Calm down, take a deep breath.  Did you run cron_diagnose.sh?

Please read and follow the directions at

especially the part about attaching (as an uncompressed text *attachment*)
the output of "cygcheck -svr" on your system.  That will give us more
information to work with -- there are just too many things that can
produce the results you describe.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/