strange cygstart bug with current Cygwin versions

I have encountered a strange bug when starting Microsoft Word when it
is started by the
cygstart command, e.g. "cygstart Index.doc", with the current version
of the Cygwin dll.

The symptoms are as follows:

1.  Word appears to start normally, and the file can be edited on screen.

2.  However, when Word should be autosaving, a message appears to the
effect that the
auto-recovery save has been postponed.

3.  Attempting to save the file gets no response.  The only way to
close the window is to
exit without saving!

To attempt to reproduce the bug, you need to open a Word document
using cygstart,
change the document, then try to save it.

I have seen this bug on two of the three computers which I use - all
with the latest release of Cygwin.   Reverting to the previous version
doesn't help, but the bug goes away if I restore a pre-January version
of Cygwin.  It also goes away if I invoke the Word binary
(winword.exe) directly from the command line or a shell script.

The two affected computers use different software versions - one has
Win2000 with Office 2000, but the other has WinXP with Office 2003.
Strangely a third machine with WinXP/Office 2003 is not affected.
However, it does seem likely to me that other people will be able to
reproduce the bug, as it clearly isn't tied to one particular version
of the software.