Re: strange cygstart bug with current Cygwin versions

On Fri, 3 Feb 2006, David Picton wrote:

> I have encountered a strange bug when starting Microsoft Word when it is
> started by the cygstart command, e.g. "cygstart Index.doc", with the
> current version of the Cygwin dll.
>
> The symptoms are as follows:
>
> 1.  Word appears to start normally, and the file can be edited on screen.
>
> 2.  However, when Word should be autosaving, a message appears to the
> effect that the auto-recovery save has been postponed.
>
> 3.  Attempting to save the file gets no response.  The only way to close
> the window is to exit without saving!
>
> To attempt to reproduce the bug, you need to open a Word document using
> cygstart, change the document, then try to save it.
>
> I have seen this bug on two of the three computers which I use - all
> with the latest release of Cygwin.  Reverting to the previous version
> doesn't help, but the bug goes away if I restore a pre-January version
> of Cygwin.  It also goes away if I invoke the Word binary (winword.exe)
> directly from the command line or a shell script.

Sounds like an instance of
<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2005-05/msg00587.html>...  Does it work if
you "cygstart cmd" and then start word from that cmd shell?  If you get
the same symptoms, please run "set" in that cmd window and compare the
output with the same in a cmd started via "Start->Run"...

Do you get the same problem if you use "run winword.exe filename"?  Which
version of Word are you trying to use?

I know that Word uses /tmp for temporary files when started via Cygwin.
Check permissions on your /tmp.  Otherwise, we'll need more details, as I,
for one, can't reproduce your problem.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/