SSH Connection Still Active

Hi,
	I don?t know much about networking ? so if there is
something obvious with this, let me know.
	When I ssh from Cygwin to another machine, and then
close the Cygwin window without logging out, my
connection to the machine still remains active ? by
this second part I mean that after I have closed the
ssh window if I ?netstat? ? I see the state of the
connection as ?ESTABLISHED?. It still remains the same
state even after many hours.

	I tried searching on google on this topic ? but I
think I probably do not know the technical terms
involved so I am not finding the answer.

Thanks to anyone who knows how to ask Cygwin to kill
connections that are closed.
Regards,
O.O.