Re: SSH Connection Still Active

O. Olson wrote:
> Hi,
> 	I don’t know much about networking – so if there is
> something obvious with this, let me know.
> 	When I ssh from Cygwin to another machine, and then
> close the Cygwin window without logging out, my
> connection to the machine still remains active – by
> this second part I mean that after I have closed the
> ssh window if I “netstat” – I see the state of the
> connection as “ESTABLISHED”. It still remains the same
> state even after many hours.

If the other computer is running Windows (non server) then yes, it's normal.
The connection will stay like that until rebooted.

If the other computer is running Unix (choose your flavor:
Linux/Solaris/HP-UX/etc.) or Windows Server x then it's not normal, it should
stay for a while and then close.

There's parameters that you can set in /etc/sshd_config that will allow the
server to detect stale connections:

ClientAliveInterval 60
ClientAliveCountMax 3

I have not tried it.