Re: cvs is broken/cygwin-bug in mkdir()?

Sven Köhler wrote:

> i'm trying to use cygwin's cvs in server-mode for another application
> I get the following error, but on a linux-system, everything is fine!
>
>   E cannot mkdir /tmp/cvs-serv784/.
>   error  No such file or directory

Already discussed:
<http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2006-01/threads.html#01207>
<http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2006-01/msg01357.html>

It's the trailing dot that is the problem, which it seems like cvs is
erroneously adding.  Previous versions of Cygwin accepted it, but the
change was made to reject such calls to mkdir() in order to more
linux-like.  I'm not sure about the errno returned, though.

A reported workaround is to use an earlier Cygwin (such as .18) but that
really isn't a great idea since you will also have to downgrade a
handful of other packages (coreutils, findutils, bash, libreadline,
others?)  Or someone may have tracked down the issue in cvs, I'm not
sure.

Brian