Re: Problems with sshd under Windows XP

My problems are solved now. So here a short report what my problem was:

I encountered two kind of problems:

1) First somewhere in the cygwin-Archive it was mentioned, that one can
change the user name simply by editing /etc/passwd. As my windows name was
"first name"\ "lastname" I changed it to my usual login name, let's say
"pauly". However Windows than does not know about a password for pauly when
a login to the Windows computer is taking place because user pauly does not
exist. A real change of a user name in WindowsXP Home does not seem easy as
a change of the user name does not change the user's directory name (in
Windows XP Home). So I accepted "first name"\ "lastname" as my login name.
After a new installation of cygwin I could than install sshd even with
"privilege separation yes". (/etc/passwd should have the same entries as
mkpasswd -l).

2) The second problem was purely ssh-related. I have linux and Windows on my
machine. For linux I have a sshd running for a long time. And the host keys
newly generated during the installation of sshd under Windows was of course
different to the linux host keys. So the client recognized that the host
keys were different and stopped the login progess. This problem can simply
be solved by copying the linux hostkeys to windows.

Cygwin is really fantastic! The xserver and the running sshd I find really
impressive! Great job! Fabian.

P.S.: Of course I also read the cygwin-doc. However I find the links
actually contain better understandable instructions than the
'/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/openssh.README' file, which adresses newly included
features and seems somewhat inconsistent -- at least without clear, simple
instructions. Anyway it works now.