Re: strange cygstart bug with current Cygwin versions

On 7-Feb-2006 3:31, Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 11:40:22PM +0100, Michael Schaap wrote:
>
>> What we basically need to do, is copy the Cygwin environment to the
>> Windows environment, taking care of path conversion for all the
>> appropriate variables.
>>

> Maybe start with:
>
> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-patches/2005-q4/msg00009.html

Not really, I think, especially since that code didn't make it into
Cygwin.  ;-)
(Also, Corinna suggested in that thread that an application should
simply convert the necessary variables itself.)

I did notice, though, that a new version, setup_winenv(), externally
callable as cygwin_internal(CW_SETUP_WINENV), was made available ...
last Thursday.  (Looks like the code was adapted from the cygstart code,
actually. :-) )
So, ideally, that function would be fixed to do POSIX to Windows
conversion on the necessary variables, and cygstart can then be changed
to call it, instead of its own setup_win_environ() function.

That would mean that the bug won't be fixed until 1.5.20 is released,
though ...
So, I guess I'll just add some path conversion handling to the cygstart
code itself, for now.  Then if at some point the Cygwin setup_winenv()
function is fixed in a similar way, and released, I might take it out
and call cygwin_internal(CW_SETUP_WINENV) instead.

If I don't see any other suggestions or objections, watch this space for
a patch.

 - Michael