Re: Looks like some terminfo data is not correct

Alex Shturm, le Thu 09 Feb 2006 00:10:21 -0800, a écrit :
> If my TERM variable is set to either "cygwin" or "rxvt", after I exit
> from VI the contents of the window gets restored.
> If TERM is "xterm", it does not get restored.

Yes. Some terminals don't support screen restoration. Recent versions of
xterm _do_ support restoration, but because so many people wrote dumb
xterm clones (konsole, gnome-terminal, ...), the terminfo entry had to
remain dumb, and hence vi can't take advantage of recent xterm's
possibility. So yes, the terminfo entry is crippled, but that's not
terminfo's fault, but the one of dumb xterm clones.

Some people are trying to get things right (have konsole &
gnome-terminal people write their own terminfo entry, for letting xterm
enhance his own), but it will be long.

For now, start vi and type :help restorescreen, it explains how to set
t_ti and t_te for xterm (beware that ^[ represent <ESC>, which you
should enter thanks to Ctrl-V <ESC>)

Regards,
Samuel