Re: Bash Window Geometry

On Wed, 8 Feb 2006, Bubba Jones wrote:

> > While you're at it, <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Thanks.
>
> Hmmm.  That doesn't look like an option.  I'll make a request and/or
> change e-mail services...

My hope is that if enough people bug those online services, some of them
will cave in and fix this, and others will then follow suit.  Slim, I
know. :-)

> > ..
> > Heh.  Two problems: (a) you're not starting a login shell
>
> Yeah, you're right.  I'll fix that.
>
> > and (b) why do you have /cygdrive/h as your home?  Sounds like your
> > $HOME setting is inconsistent with your /etc/passwd...
>
> Good eye.  I have my HOME set in my .bashrc.  I'm using an
> "organizational" computer.  "They" "nazified" the systems, so I stuck
> HOME on my network folder. When I do an "ls -l /etc/passwd", I get, "no
> such file...".  I'm not sure what "they" did, but "they" don't seem to
> want to answer my questions about "their" cygwin configuration.  I asked
> to have vi included in the configuration, but no response...

You do know that you can have your own mounts pointing to wherever *you*
want (in effect, having a separate Cygwin installation)?  If theirs is
missing /etc/passwd, it's seriously broken anyway.

I forget, did you ever attach the output of "cygcheck -svr" (as an
uncompressed text attachment) as requested in the Cygwin problem reporting
guidelines at <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>?  If not, you should do it
so that we have enough details about your installation(s) to try
diagnosing the problems.

> I decided to take matters into my own hands.  I installed cygwin on my
> network drive and specified vi and some other stuff, then set my PATH to
> look at my installation after "their" installation.  It seems to work
> ok.  I had to delete/move my cygwin1.dll so the system wouldn't freak
> out.  The system preferred the cygwin1.dll that is part of the system
> config, not my config (I hope that makes sense...).

Why not do the other way around?  Remove their installation from the PATH,
add yours, issue the following commands (assuming your Cygwin is installed
in H:\cygwin):

mount -ufb 'h:\cygwin' /
mount -ufb 'h:\cygwin\bin' /usr/bin
mount -ufb 'h:\cygwin\lib' /usr/lib

That way your install would be completely independent from theirs.

I'm assuming you installed Cygwin from one machine and use it from
another, otherwise installing for "just me" would have set up the proper
mount entries already.  Again, the output of "cygcheck -svr" would have
told us whether this is the case.

> Do you see any problem with the /etc/passwd mismatch?

Yes.  Many things that rely on authentication and permissions will not
work properly if certain usernames (including yours) are missing from
/etc/passwd.  Your /etc/group will also need to be up-to-date.

> I installed rxvt.  That solves the problem with the geometry thing.  I
> am in my happy place now :) .

Until the problems start.  Let's try preventing them.  The first step
would be to see what your and their installations look like (via the
output of "cygcheck -svr").

> > > Is there any way to have the call to bash set geometry?
> >
> > As I said above, not to bash itself, but there might be a way of
> > controlling the position of the console window using some Windows
> > means (maybe a program in the Windows Resource kit?).

...or using a terminal that lets you control the geometry (e.g., rxvt) as
others mentioned.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/