Re: cygwin bsod using make after configure on gcc

"Gary R. Van Sickle" wrote:

> The only other help anybody can offer is to look at the BSOD info.  It used
> to tell you what kernel mode component was BSODing on you, but to tell you
> the truth it's been so long since I've seen one I don't know if it does
> anymore.  If it does, it will probably be a driver, and then you're 99% of
> the way towards a solution.

The way to proceed is to get the STOP code number and then go here:
<http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php>.

It's very hard for the BSOD screen to print the name of the kernel module that
actually is responsible for the fault, since it could have been the result of a
cascading failure.  Kernel mode stuff is just like that because there are no
restrictions at all as to what a driver can do, so it's entirely possible that
driver FOO might have been executing at the time of the fault but it was
innocent and only crashed because driver BAR overwrote some of its data
structures.  So don't expect to be told in the BSOD screen which driver is at
fault, and even if one is shown don't assume that's the faulty one.  (Some notes
on this issue from Raymond Chen:
<http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2004/03/05/84469.aspx#85992>.)

And yes, this likely has nothing to do with Cygwin and everything to do with
some kind of fault in the system (failing hardware, defective ram, a buggy
driver, flakey antivirus software, etc.)  Cygwin is just a regular user-mode
process, it does not install any kernel drivers and therefore cannot (directly)
cause a BSOD.  That's not to say that user-mode processes can't tickle bugs in
kernel drivers, but the fault there lies in the driver, not the user-mode
process.

Brian