Re: make: rm: command not found

On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 07:25:47PM +0000, Chris Taylor wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:

>>>Well, after all, it is only a /minor/ problem.
>>

>>Right.  I'm just thinking that we can probably add a "problem solving"
>>section to setup.exe which did the reinstallation automatically.
>>
>>Something along the lines of a "click here if you are having problems with
>>a current installation" which would bring you to a screen that said:
>>
>>  Type of problem:
>>
>>      [.] "rm: command not found" under make
>>      [ ] cron can't access remote shares
>>      [ ] ssh not working (followed all instructions at pigtale.net)
>>      [ ] ssh not working (followed all instructions at
>>      networksimpcity.net)
>>      [ ] screen flashes when clicking on cygwin icon
>>       .
>>       .
>>       .
>>
>>Then setup.exe could know that, e.g., it takes one reinstall to fix the
>>"rm" problem, four reinstalls to fix the pigtale.net ssh problem, and
>>nine reinstalls to fix the networksimpcity.net ssh problem.
>>
>>This will take additional time, of course, but the eventual result would
>>be problem-free cygwin installations.
>
>Actually, there could be a good idea in amongst that ;)
>
>Give setup the ability to run cygcheck, and have a problem-report
>submission section built into it.
>Give them email address and description fields, and it could send the
>mail for them, thus eliminating the lack of a cygcheck (to an extent
>anyway, not everyone would follow this, of course)..
>
>I know, I know, PTC... If I could, I would.

The problem with that suggestion is that if cygcheck didn't run (typically
a 2 reinstall problem) then you could get into some kind of weird loop.

Add the requirement for checking how to send email to the mix and it might
cause that OS wrapping problem that I reported earlier.  This could really
screw up a person's computer.

cgf