Re: Perl creates html-file, view from cmd.exe => Access is denied

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006, Lennart Borgman wrote:

> I use cygwin perl to create some html files from cygwin sh. When I then
> later from cmd.exe (or cygwin sh) try to open one of these files from
> the command line with
>
>    temp.html
>
> I get the error "Access denied". This does not happen if I use the same
> trivial script from cmd.exe using ActiveState perl.
>
> There seem to be some problems with the ACL list for the created file.
> It looks to me like a cygwin bug. Below are more details.

It's not a bug, it's a feature. (tm)

Cygwin-created files are not executable unless they are explicitly created
with executable permissions on.  Perl doesn't do that, so you get a
non-executable HTML file (and can't run this from CMD).  ActiveState perl
lets Windows pick the file ACLs, which are usually based on directory
inheritance.  To simulate this in Cygwin, use "CYGWIN=nontsec perl
myscript.pl".

That said, you can also achieve the same effect (i.e., launching the
appropriate command for the file) by prepending "start" in cmd.exe or
"cygstart" in a Cygwin shell, no matter what the permissions are (i.e.,
use "start temp.html" or "cygstart temp.html").
HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/