RE: Perl creates html-file, view from cmd.exe => Access is denied

On 14 February 2006 23:12, Igor Peshansky wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Feb 2006, Lennart Borgman wrote:
>
>> I use cygwin perl to create some html files from cygwin sh. When I then
>> later from cmd.exe (or cygwin sh) try to open one of these files from the
>> command line with
>>
>>    temp.html
>>
>> I get the error "Access denied". This does not happen if I use the same
>> trivial script from cmd.exe using ActiveState perl.
>>
>> There seem to be some problems with the ACL list for the created file.
>> It looks to me like a cygwin bug. Below are more details.
>
> It's not a bug, it's a feature. (tm)
>
> Cygwin-created files are not executable unless they are explicitly created
> with executable permissions on.  Perl doesn't do that

> That said, you can also achieve the same effect (i.e., launching the
> appropriate command for the file) by prepending "start" in cmd.exe or
> "cygstart" in a Cygwin shell, no matter what the permissions are (i.e.,
> use "start temp.html" or "cygstart temp.html").

  Or you can chmod +x it.  That's longer lasting! ;-)

  Plus it could even be done as part of the perl script, and then the problem
would just /never/ arise again and wouldn't need to remember to use 'start' or
'cygstart' to launch it.

    cheers,
      DaveK