Re: cygheap base mismatch detected

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 10:22:30PM +0000, Jens Dill wrote:
> >What you write makes it appear that CygWin simply will not support
> >large executables that reference the CygWin DLL and are also launched
> >from a CygWin shell.  I can't believe that nobody has found a better
> >workaround than:
> >
> >  (a) not using the CygWin DLL (not an option for us)
> >  (b) not launching from a CygWin shell (not an option for us)
> >  (c) reducing the memory space required by the program (again, not
possible)
> >  (d) tinkering randomly with the stack size
> >
> >Does anyone else know of another way around this problem?
>
> How about:
>
>    (e) Looking into the source code and coming up with a fix rather than
>        a workaround
>
> ?

Unfortunately for me, (e) is impractical.  It's not clear whether
it is my source code or CygWin's that I need to fix, but if it were
mine, the application I am porting to CygWin is really large, and I
don't have the mandate or time to re-architect it as a bunch of small
pieces.  If I could do that, I'd rewrite the app for native Windows.
If it's the CygWin source, however interested I may be in fixing it,
I have no mandate from my management to do so (and am not likely to
get one).  Furthermore, the problem appears to be something not
directly written into the source but rather a property of the
CygWin-Windows interaction, at a level that I am not likely to
understand without suddenly learning a lot more Windows internals
than I ever thought I would need to (Bet you didn't think there
were disadvantages to being a Unix Guru, did you?).

My project time frame doesn't allow for that.   If I read Dave Korn's
posting correctly (along with the others who talk about adjusting the
sizes of Fortran arrays to fix the problem), it becomes pretty clear to
me that the problem is likely to be one of somehow scaling CygWin to
fit with large executables.  Surely someone has run into this before,
and solved it by some other means than either disabling Cygwin or
dismembering their executable.

                                     -- Jens Dill
                                        Endeavor Information Systems