RE: cygheap base mismatch detected

Dave Korn writes:
> > Unfortunately for me, (e) is impractical.  It's not clear whether
> > it is my source code or CygWin's that I need to fix,
>
>  Have you actually *tried* this application of yours under Cygwin and
> discovered that it indeed *is* one of the rare ones that actually runs
into
> this problem, or are you getting your knickers in a twist over some
entirely
> theoretical issue that may just as likely never happen?
>
> > My project time frame doesn't allow for that.   If I read Dave Korn's
> > posting correctly (along with the others who talk about adjusting the
> > sizes of Fortran arrays to fix the problem)
>
>  *Why* are you relying on information that is 12 to 18 months out of date?
> There's been quite a few check-ins to the cygwin cvs in that period, and
in
> case you haven't noticed, we haven't had anyone here running into that
problem
> recently, and some of the fortran people said that one of the fixes
Corinna
> made _ages_ ago now had solved the problem in their experience, so perhaps
you
> should stop hoping to divine the truth from a priori first principles and
> outdated mailing-list-posts, and get a bit _empirical_ about it?

Of course I have *tried* the application under CygWin and it does
indeed actually run into the problem.  Of course I have searched
the list for more recent information about the problem.  Of course
I am using a new installation of the latest stable CygWin and
a machine with sufficient memory and horsepower.

Not every new poster to the list is a newbie to posting.

I have done some experimentation.  The "maxmem" program
outlined in http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/setup-maxmem.html
shows me that I have 1.5 Gb of memory available to allocate.

I can run tests in which I allocate static arrays of increasingly
large size, and I hit the cygheap base problem *exactly* when I
try to make an array bigger than 1.5 Gb.

I can run tests in which I set the --heap option for the linker
to increasingly large sizes, and I hit the cygheap base problem
*exactly* when I try to make the heap size larger than 1.5 Gb.

I can run tests in which I set the --stack option for the linker
to increasingly large sizes, and I get a "thread handle not set"
error during execution the minute my stack size exceeds 0.5 Gb.
Yes, that's 0.5.  I never go to the full 1.5 Gb.

I did not tinker with --stack or --heap when building my
executable.  I am positive it has no static arrays larger than
a few tens of thousands of bytes.  Certainly nowhere near 1.5 Gb.
The size of the .exe file itself is just over 80 Mb.

So what is causing the problem?

                                  -- Jens Dill
                                     Endeavor Information Systems