cygheap base mismatch detected

Chris Taylor writes:
> You know, it wouldn't exactly be rocket science to try 1.5.19-4 ...
> Dave mentioned that there have been many improvements in the last year on
this issue - > 1.5.18-1 is rather dated now.

> It can't hurt to try now, can it?

Got me fair and square.  I took my IT guy's assurance that he had
installed the latest CygWin on my newly-set-up machine.  In fact,
he had installed it from a download at least 6 months old.  Trying
the updated stuff now ...
... it didn't solve the problem (CygWin DLL is now at 1.5.19).

Thanks anyway.

Dave Korn writes:
>   See, if you think there's a --heap option, you haven't been reading very
> /carefully/.  And if you don't understand how the size of the .bss section
can
> have a knock-on effect on the location of the heap, you also haven't been
> reading very carefully.

I am talking about the --heap option of the "ld" command, which certainly
exists on my system.  I enter "ld --help" and I see it.  And it does appear
to be doing what I think it does.  What have I not been reading very
carefully?

Dave Korn futher writes:

>   Again, if you don't understand that that is a text error message, which
> summarizes a situation, which might have an underlying cause, which might
be
> related to heap size, then you haven't actually been reading all these old
> posts too carefully.

Of course I understand this.  Am I not looking for the underlying
cause?  I have already followed and dismissed the remaining part
of the text message that suggests I look for a duplicate CygWin DLL
(not present) and/or reboot (didn't help).  From the postings I
could find, I got that it was a heap/static memory issue, but not
that it was solved.  It certainly isn't solved if I'm still running
into it.

I examined every post I could find after searching for "cygheap
base mismatch".  It included other stuff about other "cygheap"
or "base" or "mismatch", so I presume I saw all that was relevant.
If there were other keywords I should have searched for, I
apologise for my ignorance.  And I can't help the fact that I
wasn't following this list before I got involved with CygWin.

Dave continues:

> > And if CygWin is going to artificially limit how my program
> > chooses to allocate memory, it certainly should be documented
> > better than this.
>
>   Now you're just being facetious.  Describing a bug in terms as if it
were a
> deliberate decision that someone made just to inconvenience you is just
plain
> silly.

I did not mean to imply that it was a deliberate decision.
In my experience as a software engineer, that is seldom the case.
We do not deliberately impose this kind of limitation, but when
we do become aware of it, we try to help people understand
how to deal with it.

Dave continues:
>   I am not going to bother re-writing all the exact same explanations that
> have already written once in those old posts.  If you can even /ask/ such
an
> incoherent question, you haven't got a basic grasp on the facts and I just
> really don't want to spend ages explaining the fundamentals of memory
maps,
> loaders and dlls to you.  Get yourself a book or something.

I readily admit that my understanding of the fundamentals of
memory maps, loaders, and dlls is not up to date.  I did understand
that stuff in detail once, but that was long ago on another operating
system.  Since then, I haven't kept up, nor have I had to until now.
Nor have I read all your posts on the subject -- only the ones
reachable by searching "cygheap base mismatch".

But if this forum is not for people whose knowledge is incomplete
to ask help from those who know more, what is it for?  and
where do I go to find the help I need?

I'd be glad to get myself a book, learn this stuff, and fix it
myself.  But my managament expects me to demonstrate right now
that CygWin is the best platform for porting our app to Windows,
and they haven't given me time to learn all the internals or
to fix it myself.  To take that time would probably cost me my
job.

More from Dave:
>   And the answer to your question will always be that if you want to find
> solution to a bug, you should reproduce it, then debug it, then understand
it,
> and then fix it.

Have reproduced it.
Am doing all I can to debug it.
Am asking for help in understanding it from those who know more.
Will fix it as soon as I know what to do.

                                   -- Jens Dill
                                      Endeavor Information Systems