RE: cygheap base mismatch detected

More test results:

> I can run tests in which I allocate static arrays of increasingly
> large size, and I hit the cygheap base problem *exactly* when I
> try to make an array bigger than 1.5 Gb.

This still happens reliably, and note that I can declare an array
of *exactly* 1.5 Gb, and load and run the program.  I hit the
problem when I go over 1.5 Gb (my script increases the size
in 64-Mb increments).

> I can run tests in which I set the --heap option for the linker
> to increasingly large sizes, and I hit the cygheap base problem
> *exactly* when I try to make the heap size larger than 1.5 Gb.

Since I upgraded to the latest CygWin DLL, I get a pop-up window
that says ...

  The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005).
  Click on OK to terminate the application.

... instead of the "cygheap base mismatch" message.

> I can run tests in which I set the --stack option for the linker
> to increasingly large sizes, and I get a "thread handle not set"
> error during execution the minute my stack size exceeds 0.5 Gb.
> Yes, that's 0.5.  I never go to the full 1.5 Gb.

This test doesn't seem to be helpful for the time being.

I have tinkered with the heap_chunk_in_mb setting in the registry,
trying 1024 Mb and 1536 Mb, without having any affect on the above
results (yes, I did reboot after each change).

My app includes a lot of DLLs.  I used cygcheck to get the list,
and summed up their sizes.  The total code size on disk before
over 1420 Mb to be taken up by static and dynamic memory.
I still don't think the app uses more than a couple of Mb of
static memory, and the problem occurs before anything dynamic
can be allocated.  What am I overlooking?

                               -- Jens Dill
                                  Endeavor Information Systems