Re: Permissions problem - odd setup

Andrew DeFaria wrote:
I have a somewhat odd setup here and am having a permissions problem with my userid and authentication.

In general I'm trying to have one home directory that is shared between Windows and Linux. On Windows I use Cygwin. Normally this involves mounting my Windows oriented home directory and proper generation of my domain userid in /etc/passwd. Here things are a bit different.

My home directory here is on a Linux box running Samba. I login as <domain>\defaria on my Windows box. I have generated my /etc/password entry with mkpasswd -d -u defaria > /etc/passwd. However the Linux box running Samba does not participate in a domain rather it is using a workgroup.

The symptoms that I see are as follows:

While I can create a file in my home directory I cannot edit it - access denied:

$ cp opts.cfg opts.cfg.new
cp: cannot create regular file `opts.cfg.new': Permission denied
$ ls -l opts.cfg*
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ???????? ???????? 98 Feb 14 11:17 opts.cfg
-rwxr--r-- 1 ???????? ????????  0 Feb 15 16:01 opts.cfg.new*

You'll note that the uid and gid is not correct.

I suspect the problem is that /etc/passwd has my domain SID yet my home directory is on a samba server that is not in the domain.

Is there any way to configure this properly? If so how?

Thanks.
Nobody has any ideas?!?