Re: cygheap base mismatch detected

On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 09:02:10PM -0800, Mark Geisert wrote:
>Forgive me for possibly reading more into your text than you intended
>and thus responding inappropriately, but, Cygwin is an all-volunteer
>and essentially non-managed project.  (No offense Christopher :-) There
>are no *guarantees* about anything.  If Cygwin works for you, that's
>great.  It is possible though that it won't work for you and for any of
>various reasons specific to each volunteer, can't or won't be made to
>work for you in any particular timeframe.

The "can't" term is likely to be operative for this particular case.

>How to present the situation to your management is something we can't
>answer.  I would say, though, perhaps your management could consider a
>Cygwin support contract with Red Hat in order to get fixes for problems
>you run into.  It might be worth it if Cygwin is truly the only way to
>accomplish your technical goals.

A Red Hat support contract is not a guarantee of a fix for every
end-user problem.  Changing Cygwin to deal with this issue, as it has
been described, is likely to not fall under normal support and would
undoubtedly require additional $$$ for development.

cgf