signal handler and JNI

Hello,
I have a question about signal handling and JNI under cygwin.

The scenario is the following:
- a cygwin program register a function to handle SIGINT and SIGTERM signals
- the program then launches the Java Virtual Machine via the JNI invocation API, telling it to not override any signal handlers

Hitting a CTRL-C should then immediately run the defined signal handler, but this is not the case. For some reason (what exactly?) inside the java program I need to periodically call a native function linked with cygwin, but this is not enough. In the called function I have to do something more, like printing a char to stdout or /dev/null (calling printf("") with an empty string doesn't work). Only in this way the signal handler is called as soon as I hit CTRL-C, otherwise it's ignored or handled seconds/minutes later.
Maybe the callback to C code is mandatory under cygwin, but why should I print something to have to signal handled? Any suggestions?

--
Alex Dupre