Re: Curious about cygcheck -s' comment on vi

From: L Anderson <lowella@serv.net>
> I ran "cygcheck -s" on my system and noticed the comment "Not found:
> vi". A search of the web and Cygwin archives seems to indicate that vi
> is not a Cygwin package and it doesn't show up in Setup.  Therefore, the
> comment seems a bit like saying that oat meal is cholesterol free or
> "Not found: elephants".  :-)

Actually, vi IS distributed by cygwin - it is a symlink created by
the vim package.  Once cygcheck knows how to properly follow
symlinks (and a patch has already been posted to get it closer
in that regards),  then the check will actually find /usr/bin/vi.
Until then, it is still a useful check, as POSIX requires other
programs, such as more, to use vi as their default editor.
Some people install a non-cygwin vi in some other location,
then wonder why cygwin programs behave oddly when
using the non-cygwin vi they have installed.

--
Eric Blake