Re: Permissions problem - odd setup

> >> I have a somewhat odd setup here and am having a permissions problem
> >> with my userid and authentication.
> >>
> >> In general I'm trying to have one home directory that is shared
> >> between Windows and Linux. On Windows I use Cygwin. Normally this
> >> involves mounting my Windows oriented home directory and proper
> >> generation of my domain userid in /etc/passwd. Here things are a bit
> >> different.
> >>
> >> My home directory here is on a Linux box running Samba. I login as
> >> <domain>\defaria on my Windows box. I have generated my /etc/password
> >> entry with mkpasswd -d -u defaria > /etc/passwd. However the Linux
> >> box running Samba does not participate in a domain rather it is using
> >> a workgroup.

I don't have access to a Samba mount point, so maybe
my advice won't help much, but here goes anyways.

> >> The symptoms that I see are as follows:
> >>
> >> While I can create a file in my home directory I cannot edit it -
> >> access denied:
> >>
> >> $ cp opts.cfg opts.cfg.new
> >> cp: cannot create regular file `opts.cfg.new': Permission denied
> >> $ ls -l opts.cfg*
> >> -rw-rw-r-- 1 ???????? ???????? 98 Feb 14 11:17 opts.cfg
> >> -rwxr--r-- 1 ???????? ????????  0 Feb 15 16:01 opts.cfg.new*
> >>
> >> You'll note that the uid and gid is not correct.

First, have you run mkpasswd and mkgroup to create
valid /etc/passwd and /etc/group files?  Without a valid
user database, cygwin gets lost when trying to
check/display/modify permissions of an unknown user.

http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#mkpasswd
has more details on running mkpasswd.

> >> I suspect the problem is that /etc/passwd has my domain SID yet my
> >> home directory is on a samba server that is not in the domain.
> >>
> >> Is there any way to configure this properly? If so how?
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> > Nobody has any ideas?!?
> OK I'm quite shocked that nobody has any ideas at all on this, nothing
> to try, no suggestions, etc. Is this even getting through at all or is
> everybody stumped? I'd really like to get this working for me.

Also, samba has special options in the CYGWIN environment
variable.  Check out
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html
in regards to smbntsec.  That may be impacting your
permissions.

Beyond that, maybe getfacl on the various pathname
components may reveal what permissions are attributed
to the various files.  Again, there may be someone else
that has more experience with samba to know how
to answer you better, but at least now you know your
request is not falling on deaf ears.

--
Eric Blake