Re: Octave's oct-modules built with gcc-3.4.4-1 crash octave.

Re: jwe: what he said.

Also, this is a good time to remind cygwin package users that cygwin-specific
packaging notes for package foo-x are generally located in
/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/foo-x.README.  This is a cygwin packaging standard - so
expect to find some information for every major installed package (in the case
where multiple binary packages are derived from a single source package, there
might be only one main README).

For octave-2.1.72 in particular, there is the file

/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/octave-2.1.72.README

In this file it specifically states:

"octave currently does not build properly with cygwin gcc 3.4.x.  This build
was created with gcc 3.3.3, which is recommended for building from source"

For future releases, I will add text regarding the necessity of retaining gcc
3.3.3 for building .oct modules.

This situation as regards gcc and octave is admittedly awkward, but I see no
simple remedy as a package maintainer.  It would be nice if gcc 3.4 were fixed
- but I can't make that happen.  It would be nice if cygwin supported multiple
simultaneous gcc installs - but I can't make that happen either.  Nor can I
easily turn off the default selection of gcc for upgrading whenever setup.exe
is run.  All in all, the situation is annoying, but one learns to live with it.

James R. Phillips