Installing an open source app. that uses Perl on Cygwin

Hi,
I have Perl installed by cygwin setup (in c:\cygwin\bin\) but seemingly
the app. can't integrate with Perl.
Makefile.PL or Config or Configure for Perl not found.

Where can be found:
 -> How to install and test that Perl on Cygwin is ready, cURL and openSSL
are bound with Perl?
 -> How to find or generate the Perl Config or Configure for make to
execute Makefile?
	Modify ActivePerl Makefile_PL.e2x ?

I'm trying to install a ready, open source, fairly basic command-line app.
that "runs on all flavors of [L]inux, [U]nix and Windows", (Windows via
Cygwin).
To that end, where to look for Perl on Cygwin documentation for users in
contrast to developers or admin?

I may be missing something too obvious.
Thank you
-M

_____ detail _____
I have searched cygwin-ug-net-nochunks.html and c:\Perl\html\install.html.
'have steps
	tar -xzvf [fname].tar.gz
	cd [fname]
	./configure
	make
	[make test]
	su -c "make install"
from Marcel Gagne, _Moving to Linux_

I have an installed and functional Cygwin on Win98SE (Cygwin 1.5.19-4,
setup.exe),
Cygwin with a seemingly ready openSSL by cygwin setup,
c:\cygwin\openSSL-0.9.8a ("make test" reports ok).

I checked that cygwin setup has included c:\cygwin\bin\gcc.exe and as.exe,
for compiling,
has perl (c:\cygwin\bin\perl.exe), and
has cURL and libcurl (c:\cygwin\include\curl).
The app. requires Perl (selected in my cygwin setup).  I've been unable to
locate the Makefile or Makeflie.PL or config or configure for Perl.  I
tried installing the
http://downloads.activestate.com/ActivePerl/Linux/5.8/ActivePerl-5.8.7.813-i686-linux-2.2.17-gcc-148120.tar.gz
(but Cygwin has no rpm to execute).
I tried installing the
http://downloads.activestate.com/ActivePerl/Windows/5.8/ActivePerl-5.8.7.815-MSWin32-x86-211909.msi
using MSI 2.0.2600.2 in Win98SE,
with Perl environment variables other than PATH not in use, and
problematic Registry keys not previously in use.
["install.html#installing activeperl on windows (x86)"]

Perl.com site seems to be about programming; installing Perl seems implicit.

The app. runtime requirements are Cygwin or MinGW and MSYS for a
development environment,
openSSL, and Perl with cURL and libcurl.  (I won't initially be doing
development.)
The desired app. is in .c and .h in a .tgz

_____