RE: Nominally, how long to build cygwin/bash debug versions?

On 22 February 2006 09:35, L Anderson wrote:

> I'm trying to build debug versions of cygwin1 and bash in an attempt to
> isolate a problem I'm having.  My first attempt with cygwin seemed to
> grind and grind with nothing being produced--not even errors.  After
> considerable time I killed the process.  Realizing that maybe I was just
> impatient, I have a question I hope someone can answer.
>
> Counting only computer time and assuming everything works perfectly,
> nominally, how long might I expect it to take to build a cygwin debug
> version? A bash debug version? (10min?, 30min?, 2hrs?, ...?)
>
> My system is: 550MHz Pentium III, 512MB memory, lots disk space, and
> Windows 98SE.
>

> Thanks,
>
> L Anderson

  It's a vague question, so here's a vague answer; say five minutes on a fast
modern machine, anything up to say three quarters of an hour on an
old/loaded/thrashy/win9x machine.

  However you should be seeing loads of output fly past in the shell window as
it goes, so if even that isn't happening, you should look at the task manager
or something and see if it's actually stuck or not.

    cheers,
      DaveK