Re: sshd, /etc/hosts.allow, & Alternate Access Methods

> Cygwin isn't ACL-aware, and file creation operations don't retain the
> original ACLs -- Cygwin constructs them anew to reflect the permission
> mapping.  See <http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-files>.
> To make sure you keep the ACLs, use an editor that edits files in-place,
> rather than making a copy (e.g., vim).

Actually, it is more accurate to state that most applications on
cygwin aren't ACL-aware.  CVS coreutils (which will someday
become coreutils 6.0) has a patch currently undergoing
testing that makes cp, mv, and friends ACL-aware, such
that copying a file with ACLs will be able to give the new file
the same permissions.  At any rate, I have not yet had
time to play with those patches to see if they need some
more fixes as part of porting the eventual coreutils 6.0
to cygwin.

However, you are correct that one of the biggest limitations
currently in cygwin's ACL implementation is that default
ACLs attached to directories are not applied to new files
created in those directories.

It may be that vim also needs to be taught to be ACL aware,
and that when editing a file with ACLs and creating a
replacement, it should put the same permissions on the
replacement as the original.  But I leave that to the
vim maintainer to track down.

--
Eric Blake