Perl NET::SERVER module acts strangly in cygwin

HI All,
Perhaps this is the wrong list for this,  but as it is Cygwin
specific...
Anyone have any experience with the perl NET::SERVER module?
I have been re-writing some of my perl servers using the
NET::SERVER::PREFORK  (v.90)module.  All is well on Linux but in Cygwin
(1.5.18) everything works fine until I try to take the data coming in
via the socket ($_)  and fork off a "system" or "exec" using that data.
When I do this,  the client connection is abruptly closed without
successfully performing the "system" call.  If I define the variable
internally it all works fine.

Example:
Sub make_dirs (
 my $destinU = $_ ;
 chomp;

  $destinU =~ tr#\\#/#;
  $destinU =~ tr/://d;

  print "unix style destination is $destinU \r\n";

  if (! -d "$destinU" ){
    print   "system \"mkdir -p ${destinU}\"\r\n";
   system "mkdir -p /cygdrive/c/${destinU}" ;

Result:
unix style destination is c/temp/newdir
mkdir -p /cygdrive/c/temp/newdir

#####And nothing happens and client session crashes.

If I set the above second line to :
my $destinU = c:\temp\newdir ;

I get :
unix style destination is c/temp/newdir
mkdir -p /cygdrive/c/temp/newdir

#### the directory is created and the client session remains open and
stable.

If I run the first example on Linux (centos4) All works as it's suppose
to and I get weird /cygdrive/c/temp directorys ;)

I tried running the above example in a script using the SOCKET module,
and the above worked as expected .

I've been staring at strace logs,  but I'm not getting anywhere...

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated
Bruce D.