Re: sed: 4.1.5 breaks libtool generation

On Feb 24 12:08, Pavel Holejsovsky wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> >>Thanks for the heads up. I'll try to look in to it, but it might be a
> >>week or two.
> >
> >I would appreciate any hint here.  sed 4.1.5-1 has 0 FAILs in the sed
> >testsuite and the only really interesting Cygwin related difference
> >between 4.1.4 and 4.1.5 is that 4.1.4 uses sed's own implementation
> >of getline(), while 4.1.5 uses the newlib version of getline.
>
> One incompatibility of 4.1.5 is that sed no longer works correctly with
> CRLF-style files on binary mounts.  For example, 's/^$//' script no
> longer filters out empty lines if they are CRLF terminated, but works OK
> for LF terminated lines.  However, I'm not sure whether this causes the
> problem described above.

sed's internal getline enforces CRLF line ending recognition regardless
of the mount type, which results in mishandling of binary input files.
sed has no -b/--binary option.  So by using newlib's getline which
doesn't enforce CRLF->LF conversion, sed 4.1.5 should be actually
"fixed", FWIW.  If you need CRLF->LF conversion, you can use a filter
application like dos2unix.

Nothing's impossible, but I'd be actually surprised if that's the cause
for the libtool misbehaviour.

Corinna

Red Hat