RE: Clearing the COMPLETE screen.

On 24 February 2006 12:11, Richard Quadling wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I'm using Cygwin and have the clear package installed (1.0-2 according
> the cygcheck.out file).
>
> When I run clear, my screen clears! Keep reading!!!!
>
> I run Cygwin in a window on Windows XP. The window is BIG (I like big
> windows). There is also a nice long scrollbar on the side so I can
> scroll up and down for a LOT of output.
>
> The trouble is, clear only clears what I would call the visible part
> of the window.
>
> Is there a way to clear the entire window? That is including the bits
> which you can see when you scroll up again?

  How bizarre.  For me, clear does blank the whole lot but it doesn't return
the cursor to the 'top-of-screen'; after running clear, I can still scroll up,
but all I see is blank stuff.  That's in a bash shell in a DOS box with
CYGWIN=notty BTW.  I generally use a line like this:

alias cls='cmd -c cls'

in my .bashrc to provide a handy clear-everything command.

    cheers,
      DaveK