Re: experimental coreutils-5.94-3

Eric Blake <ericblake <at> comcast.net> writes:

> An experimental release of coreutils, 5.94-2, is available to help test
> the latest snapshots in preparation for cygwin 1.5.20.  To use this
> version, you must have a recent snapshot (20060220 or later)
> installed, then use the Exp button of setup.exe to select the
> experimental version of coreutils.

Well, I guess not many people used it, due to the lack of complaints to
this list that -2 had a packaging bug (all my cygwin-specific patches
were lost, so some programs such as cat fail if stdin is read-write
instead of read-only, or cp not coping with .exe extensions).  I've
now uploaded -3, with the same rules about it being experimental - use
it to test out snapshots for the upcoming cygwin 1.5.20, and report
if /bin/pwd fails to match the shell builtin 'pwd -P', or if '\ls -i'
fails to give the same inode numbers as '\ls -iF'.

I did add a patch to ls, so that 'ls -Li' now uses d_ino rather
than going about with a wasteful stat, so this mode of operation,
although not the usual option set, will run faster.  This patch
is also being considered upstream for use in the eventual coreutils
6.0.

--
Eric Blake
volunteer cygwin coreutils maintainer