Re: experimental coreutils-5.94-3

> Well, I guess not many people used it, due to the lack of complaints to
> this list that -2 had a packaging bug (all my cygwin-specific patches
> were lost, so some programs such as cat fail if stdin is read-write
> instead of read-only, or cp not coping with .exe extensions).  I've
> now uploaded -3, with the same rules about it being experimental - use
> it to test out snapshots for the upcoming cygwin 1.5.20, and report
> if /bin/pwd fails to match the shell builtin 'pwd -P', or if '\ls -i'
> fails to give the same inode numbers as '\ls -iF'.

And the first bug reporter is: me!  'cd //; /bin/pwd' fails to recognize
that // is a root, dying with '/bin/pwd: couldn't find directory entry
in `..' with matching i-node' because it is trying to find // as an
entry within /.  That is not a cygwin bug (as 'ls -id // //..' can list
the correct inode value), so once I've patched this upstream problem
in the readdir pwd fallback code, look for another experimental
release.  The upshot of this, however, is that failures of the
experimental /bin/pwd on all shared drives is a known issue, and
will not be present when I release a non-experimental coreutils
after cygwin 1.5.20 is out.

--
Eric Blake
volunteer cygwin coreutils maintainer