Updatedb grinding floppy drive

I've been having a problem with updatedb for a while now.  The
symptoms are that late in the process it starts grinding my A: drive
and I have to hit ctrl-C to kill it.

When it first starts to run, I see the following:

/usr/bin/find: /a: No medium found
/usr/bin/find: Filesystem loop detected; `/c/cygwin' has the same device number
and inode as a directory which is 2 levels higher in the filesystem hierarchy.

The A: drive Brrs briefly before the message about /a appears, which
is fine.  The message about /c/cygwin bugs me, but it's been there for
a while and I've seen references to it in other messages on this list,
so I know it isn't a problem (but, it didn't always appear, when I
first started using cygwin).  Then updatedb/find starts groveling over
my hard drive.  Groovy.  So I switch to browsing the web, or go watch
TV, or something.  Later, when I come back, the A: drive is Brrring
nonstop, just grinding away like mad with no indication what is
transpiring.  So I hit ctrl-C to kill it.

A few other details.  Some time back I updated cygwin, and it started
looking for /var/locatedb instead of /usr/var/locatedb.  My /usr/var
is a real directory, I think.  I don't know if it's supposed to be
linked to /var, or if there's any magic that applies to /var and
/usr/var as I think applies to /bin and /usr/bin?

When I kill updatedb it leaves behind a /var/locatedb.n file.  One
thing I've tried is

rm /var/locatedb* /usr/var/locatedb*

to "start fresh"; this hasn't helped, though.  I have attached the
output of cygcheck -s -v -r, but just for quick reference here is the
output of mount:

Dave@Julian ~
$ mount
C:\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type system (binmode)
C:\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type system (binmode)
C:\cygwin on / type system (binmode)