Re: problem with starting services in 1.5.19

Ugh, top-posting...  Reformatted.

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Thanks.

> > On Feb 24 14:56, Yadin Y. Goldschmidt wrote:
> > > I still did not get any response, can someone please help?
> > > Since I received no suggestions I ran strace on cygrunsrv -S cron. I
> > > give here the result with 1.5.18 first (cron starts) and 1.5.19
> > > second (cron is not starting) I only give the end of the strace
> > > since the beginning is pretty much the same.
> >
> > An strace doesn't help since the most part of the real action happens
> > in an entirely different process and outside of the Cygwin DLL.
> >
> > The problem is that I'm running services just fine (also on XP SP2) so
> > I'm not able to reproduce your problem.  Is it possible that there's
> > some bad interaction with a virus scanner/ firewall software?  Do you
> > have some meaningful entry in /var/log/cron.log or /var/log/sshd.log?
>
> Thank you Corrina for your answer although you did not offer a solution.
>
> The problem is very similar to problems Igor Peschansky and others had
> in the past with XP SP1, apparently because of changes made on 01/04
> concerning fhandler_console?

That was due to a Cygwin bug that has since been fixed.

> I run SP2 but I still have a problem. If I only run one service on
> reboot it will start but if I try to run 2 services on reboot one would
> hang.
>
> From the command line none will start. There is nothing in cron.log or
> sshd.log since they don't even start. No I don't run any firewall
> besides xp built in firewall and Symantec corporate antivirus. As I said
> there is no problem at all with 1.5.18 and I never had any problems
> before. This is very frustrating.

When you say "none will start from the command line", what is the exact
command line you're using?  Are you starting them as SYSTEM, or as a
regular user?

> Were the changes to fhandler_console really necessary?
> Any other suggestions? Igor, Larry, Chris?

Try opening a SYSTEM-owned bash shell and starting the service program
explicitly, with the same arguments that cygrunsrv would give it (see
"cygrunsrv --verbose -Q SERVICENAME" for those arguments).  If this
doesn't work either, we've ruled out cygrunsrv.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"