Re: problem with starting services in 1.5.19

See comments below
"Igor Peshansky" pechtcha@XXXXXX wrote in message news:
Ugh, top-posting... Reformatted.

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006, Yadin Y. Goldschmidt wrote:

"Corinna Vinschen" <corinna-cygwin@XXXXXX.XXX> wrote:

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>. Thanks.

> On Feb 24 14:56, Yadin Y. Goldschmidt wrote:
> > I still did not get any response, can someone please help?
> > Since I received no suggestions I ran strace on cygrunsrv -S cron. I
> > give here the result with 1.5.18 first (cron starts) and 1.5.19
> > second (cron is not starting) I only give the end of the strace
> > since the beginning is pretty much the same.
>
> An strace doesn't help since the most part of the real action happens
> in an entirely different process and outside of the Cygwin DLL.
>
> The problem is that I'm running services just fine (also on XP SP2) so
> I'm not able to reproduce your problem.  Is it possible that there's
> some bad interaction with a virus scanner/ firewall software?  Do you
> have some meaningful entry in /var/log/cron.log or /var/log/sshd.log?

Thank you Corrina for your answer although you did not offer a solution.

The problem is very similar to problems Igor Peschansky and others had
in the past with XP SP1, apparently because of changes made on 01/04
concerning fhandler_console?

That was due to a Cygwin bug that has since been fixed.

I run SP2 but I still have a problem. If I only run one service on
reboot it will start but if I try to run 2 services on reboot one would
hang.

From the command line none will start. There is nothing in cron.log or
sshd.log since they don't even start. No I don't run any firewall
besides xp built in firewall and Symantec corporate antivirus. As I said
there is no problem at all with 1.5.18 and I never had any problems
before. This is very frustrating.

When you say "none will start from the command line", what is the exact command line you're using? Are you starting them as SYSTEM, or as a regular user?

from the command line I mean typing
cygrunsrv -S cron
or
cygrunsrv -S shhd
it starts with 1.5.18. Eith 1.5.19 I get
"cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: QueryServiceStatus: Win32 error 1053:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely
fashion"
and there is a hanged cygrunsrv in "ps -a"
PID PPID PGID WINPID TTY UID STIME COMMAND
2004 1 2004 2004 con 1004 11:38:52 /usr/bin/bash
164 1 164 164 ? 18 11:39:10 /usr/bin/cygrunsrv
2384 2004 2384 3600 con 1004 11:39:26 /usr/bin/ps
with no cron or shhd.
Now I run it as a user with Administrative power. I don't know how to open a bash shell
as SYSTEM. How do you do that?

Were the changes to fhandler_console really necessary?
Any other suggestions? Igor, Larry, Chris?

Try opening a SYSTEM-owned bash shell and starting the service program explicitly, with the same arguments that cygrunsrv would give it (see "cygrunsrv --verbose -Q SERVICENAME" for those arguments). If this doesn't work either, we've ruled out cygrunsrv.
As I said I dont know how to open a SYSTEM-owned bash shell

Yadin
Igor
--
http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
     |\      _,,,---,,_     pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu | igor@watson.ibm.com
    |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-' old name: Igor Pechtchanski
   '---''(_/--'  `-'\_) fL a.k.a JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-.  Meow!

that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"