Re: Hanging at GetModuleFileName in inside_kernel function

On Feb 23, 2006, at 6:27 PM, Christopher Faylor wrote:

On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 03:43:25PM -0800, Peter Rehley wrote:
On Feb 23, 2006, at 10:13 AM, Dave Korn wrote:

On 23 February 2006 16:20, Peter Rehley wrote:

Yeah, I saw that change, and I tried yesterdays snapshot but it still
hung. I also did some more googling and found that someone submitted
a patch a few years ago. The patch checked to see if it was inside
the ntdll.dll by looking at the handle.
http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-patches/2003-q2/msg00004.html

I found this google too.
http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2004/01/28/63880.aspx

I'm going to try that patch today and see what happens. Christopher
didn't apply it because it was a bandage and didn't really fix the
bigger problem.

I tried putting the patch in place, and it stopped hanging at the place I reported. I had print statements to verify that it went through the section. However, the program still hung at some point. I tracked down a couple of other GMFN calls that used non-null handles and tried using the technique that the patch had.

Does the latest snapshot behave any differently? It has a temporary
patch which stops cygwin from suspending (for long) when the current IP
is in the cygwin DLL itself.

It seems like an improvement. It didn't hang, but after about 4000 iterations of the test script it got a segmentation fault. It ran for 12 hours with another configure script in a separate window or about 11 hours and 45 minutes longer than before. This is with the 20060227 snapshot.

Attached is the stackdump.

Peter