1.5.19-4 and gnu make 3.80-1 causes popup console windows from child make processes

I upgraded to 1.5.19-4 yesterday and now notice the following new,
undesirable behavior: empty console windows for child make processes.

I use the FTE editor and run make from it, the make output being
displayed inside an FTE window. Before upgrading to 1.5.19-4, no console
windows popped up, even when make called child $(MAKE) (which in turn
call child $(MAKE) and so forth).

Now, I get a pop-up console window for make and each child make. The
output from all of these still goes to FTE, but the empty popup console
windows take focus and are annoying.
This doesn't occur with other external programs launched by FTE, just make.

(I've tried this with console application builds of FTE both with and
without cygwin (but always with cygwin gnu make), and I observe the same
behavior. I don't see this if I run make from a console or rxvt window
(using bash or cmd.exe).)

My system is Windows 2000.

FTE uses CreateProcess to launch make (and other external programs). I
tried adding CREATE_NO_WINDOW and DETACHED_PROCESS, which didn't help. I
can't tell why make is creating a window now.

My previous cygwin1.dll version, which did not have this problem, was
1.5.18. (I don't know the -release number. The dll reports BuildDate
2005-07-02 20:30.

I checked for updated make package (there was none) and tried
reinstalling make to no avail.

I wonder if it may be related to one of these cygwin changes:
Changes since 1.5.18-1:
cgf: Fix problem with non-cygwin programs which use pipes.
cgf: Fix problem with spawn() of non-cygwin processes.

As an experiment, I replaced cygwin1.dll with the older one. Unsurprisingly, this resolved the popup problem but introduced a lot of other problems (e.g., "entry getline not found in cygwin1.dll").

Does anyone know how to resolve this annoyance?

Thanks much

Paul