Re: OpenSSH for Non Administrators

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006, Damian Sobieralski wrote:

> My apologies if this has asked before.  I researched as much as I could
> on my own. I hope a kind soul can direct me to a useful resource.
>
>  I installed Cygwin on a Windows 2003 Server with OpenSSH 4.2p1-1.
> After installing I ran ssh-host-config and chose privilege separation.
>
> "privilege separation" -> Yes
> "create local user sshd_server" -> Yes
> "install sshd as a service" -> Yes
> CYGWIN="  -> ntsec
>
>  I synced the users and passwords with:
>
> mkpasswd   --local   >   /etc/passwd
> mkgroup   --local    >   /etc/group

I'm guessing this is your problem right here.  Which user did you do this
as?  If you did this as yourself, it could be that these files are only
readable by the Administrators group, which explains why those users can
log in.  Either those, or some other file needed for the login...
Perhaps the shell (/bin/sh or /bin/bash)?

What does "ls -l /etc/{passwd,group} /bin/sh /bin/bash" print?

>  Now the weird thing is that I am able to log in (ssh in).  I'm part of
> the administrator group.  I set up another user as a "normal" user and
> they are not able to authenticate and get in.  If I promote this user to
> be part of the administrator group he/she is able to get in.
>
>  I read this thread and noticed a poster stated if one read the readme
> in /usr/share/doc/Cygwin that this should cover all I need to know.  I
> did read it and I am not seeing where I made the mistake.  Can anyone
> assist me on where I am making a mistake?
>
> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2005-10/msg01043.html

It would also help if you followed

just in case you have some other peculiarity on your system.
HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/