This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Bug: run emacs: fatal error reading the windows environment
- From: Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Cc: Joe Buehler <jbuehler at hekimian dot com>
- Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 17:20:08 +0100
- Subject: Re: Bug: run emacs: fatal error reading the windows environment
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
On Mar 3 11:47, Kirk Hilliard wrote:
> Hi All,
> After upgrading cygwin, my emacs shortcut stopped working and I
> discovered that ``run emacs'' yielded the error:
> 12 [main] emacs 900 C:\cygwin\bin\emacs.exe: *** fatal error -
> internal error reading the windows environment --
> too many environment variables?
After some debugging it turns out that emacs messes around with the
global environ variable in some non-portable way. This problem
didn't show up before, because Cygwin deliberately overwrite the
value of environ with NULL on startup. The newer version of Cygwin
does not overwrite environ anymore, so the strange setting of
environ gets through to Cygwin and results in a crash since environ
just points into nirvana or a surrounding area.
This should be fixed in emacs. Joe? Still there somewhere?
Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to
Cygwin Project Co-Leader cygwin AT cygwin DOT com
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html