Re: windows processes in CygWin

Emiel,

Please reply to the list and format so all can benefit/follow along.  I
slightly rearranged so this makes sense on the list.

> > The subject calls out services, the body talks about processes.
> > Which is it?
> >
> > > I want to monitor all the processes that are running on Windows
> > > 2003 and CygWin with a script (cobol).
> >
> i want to monitor the processes both in CygWin and Windoss on cpu
> usage. we use cobol  to extract the processes running under CygWin.
> i'am looking for a way to monitor the Windows processes in CygWin.

Ok, so my understanding is you want to run a utility to output process
information to a file and then write a COBOL program to read in this
file and analize it, looking for CPU information.  Perhaps you want to
pipe the information directly from the utility into the COBOL program.
Either way you need a consistent format for analysis.

Your use of the word monitor implies wrapping in a script so this
processing reoccurs at regular intervals.

>From the point-of-view of Windows, Cygwin processes are Windows
processes so using a Windows/DOS utility will view all processes.

Corinna's suggestion to use pslist from www.sysinternals.com is your
utility to output process information.  You can run DOS programs from
Cygwin, so you can redirect the output to a file or a pipe, then run
your COBOL program to do what it wants.  All can be wrapped in a script
using the language of your choice such as Perl, Bash, Sh,...

Brett