Re: Shared memory error cygwin1.dll

martyandkaren carrahar wrote:
Hi,

I have a very limited knowledge of computers, so I would appreciate some help if you can. I have traced a shared memory error to the "cygwin1.dll" file, and I am trying to delete it to resolve the issue. However, when I attempt to delete the older version of the file on my system, it say access denied.
Can you please tell me how to find which application is using cygwin1.dll, or how to delete it.

This kind of question is actually off-topic for this list. Since the problem is caused by a 3PP <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#3PP>, in this case ffmpeg, you need to ask them how to resolve this issue. A single Cygwin installation via 'setup.exe' would not cause this situation. However, generally speaking these situations are caused by the third- party copy of the Cygwin DLL and usually this copy is placed in the same directory as the app or <shudder> in the Windows system directory. The main reasons why one is not be able to delete the file is that it is either in use or you don't have permissions to do so. For the former, exit ffmpeg and all related apps. You may also need to exit all Cygwin apps and services (if you didn't start any Cygwin services and/or don't know what they are, you can safely ignore this part). For the latter, see if you're the owner of the DLL file. If not, take ownership through the Windows GUI permissions tab on the DLL. If all else fails, you should be able to uninstall the third party app and have it toss the offending file in the process. But it shouldn't need to come to this. Hopefully this gives you some good info to resolve the problem or to use to follow-up with the FFmpeg folks. Feel free to remind them or <gasp> inform them that we generally frown on third party installations that don't play well with offical Cygwin installations.

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 838 Washington Street (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746