Re: sshd and scp/sftp: slow throughput on windows machines

1. Is it possible to increase the bandwith by having the client aggregate
multiple sessions through a single pipe?

Could you please give me some advice how this can be achieved? I am not an SSH guru yet.

2. It would seem that PPTP connections can be much faster. E.g. a FreeBSD
MPD running on a 400 Mhz Pentium II can sustain a 50 Mbit/s datastream at a
CPU usage of 25%.
W2k and XP have easy to configure PPTP clients.
(See also W2003 RAS.)

Why should a point to point tunnel improve the performance? Using Linux on the client and server machines I achieved a throughput of 10.8 MB/s whereas the theoretical maximum on a 100 MBit/s ethernet network would be 12.5 MB/s.

There must be another way. Why is the Linux implementation of SSH able to provide a much better throughput for scp/sftp
than cygwin's implementation running on the same hardware? It is not a problem of the Windows operating system because usual FTP tranfer yields simalar fast throughput of 10-11 MB/s like SSH running on Linux.

Max Stein