Re: Some pointers required on log file examination.

Earlier, I wrote (regarding firing off the build once some number of files
have changed):

On Tue, 4 Apr 2006, Richard Quadling wrote:

> Thanks for that. I'd not thought of using the CVS itself.
> Living and learning.

It would be nice to quote at least some relevant part of the message
you're replying to, just to set the context for people seeing this thread
for the first time.

Also, a small clarification: when I said "compare CVS as of that
date/time", I did not mean the repository itself, but the "cvs" command.
In your case, if you only do the checkout whenever you do the make, using
"cvs -n checkout" should suffice -- just examine the output of that.
E.g., something like (untested):

cvs -qn checkout > log && \
[ `wc -l log` -ge 50 -o `grep -F -c -f IMPORTANT_FILES log` -gt 0 ] && \
cvs -q checkout && make

where IMPORTANT_FILES is a file that contains the list of files changes to
which should kick off the build no matter what, one per line, with a 'U '
in front of it (to simulate cvs output).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"