RE: sshd and network share permissions

On 06 April 2006 17:31, Joe Hetrick wrote:

> Dave Korn wrote:
>> On 06 April 2006 16:01, Joseph Hetrick wrote:
>>
>>> 	I've set cygwin sshd up according to the following (which seems to be
>>> what is posted to the list at various intervals).
>>>
>>> http://pigtail.net/LRP/printsrv/cygwin-sshd.html
>>

>>   Well, if you've read those posts, you'll also have read the follow-ups,
>> won't you, and so you'll already have known before you even sent that post
>> that you aren't going to get an answer here, won't you, and so it isn't
>> really clear why you even bothered to finish the post and send it, is it?
>>

> I'm not really sure I see what you're getting at.

  The fact that nobody here offers support services for pigtail.net.  If you
follow some non-standard instructions from some random website on the net, and
something goes wrong, you should ask the place you got the instructions from
what the problem is with their instructions.  Nobody here is necessarily going
to have any idea what it says at that site, nor is anyone going to be keen to
jump up and do a detailed analysis of the similarities and discrepancies
between what they suggest and the officially recommended way of configuring
cygwin as seen in the cygwin documentation.

> Unless its that I
> didn't also mention that I read and followed
> /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/openssh.README

  Ah, so you've followed some random combination of the right instructions and
some random set of unknown instructions.  Great.  Well, all I can say based on
that is that you might have got it right and there might be a real problem, or
you might have got it wrong and the problem might just be caused by something
unimportant or something else.  Or not.

  (It would have been a better idea to mention the bit that we all know about
rather than the bit which every single time it gets mentioned somebody has to
point out all over again that we don't know what advice or instructions they
give out at pigtail dot net and therefore cannot give informed responses to
queries regarding it.)

> I see plenty of responses to postings with less specific and less
> complete postings than my own, which normally direct folks to
> openssh.README.

  So, why didn't you know to ignore the pigtail dot net site and /just/ use
the canonical instructions?

> My questions were more directed at the behavior that I was seeing and if
> it fit with what I should be seeing when sshd runs as SYSTEM.

  OK, then the answer to your question "Is this a symptom of sshd running as
SYSTEM?" is "Yes under certain circumstance, no under others, ACCORDING TO HOW
YOU'VE CONFIGURED AND SET UP YOUR SYSTEM".  And since that vital second clause
is full of unknowns, any answer we give you is likely to be equally uncertain.

> I wasn't groveling for a canned solution, I was merely following posting
> rules, and asking a few questions related to what I was seeing in hopes
> that I could get a confirmation or two.

  Well, full marks for attaching your cygcheck.out anyway.

  Shouldn't you be doing something about that "mkgroup-l-d"?

    cheers,
      DaveK