Re: move list of instl. software to a new installation

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006, Dirk Schleicher wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I using cygwin with sylpheed-claws. I have to do my laptop new and move
> all to a 2 laptop. On laptop 1 cygwin work fine. On laptop 2. I am not
> able to run sylpheed-claws.

There are three things that you'll need to do on the new machine:

1) replicate the mounts (which would be done by a reinstall into the same
location, but could also be done by simply saving the output of "mount -m"
on the old machine into a batch file and running that on the new machine),

2) regenerate /etc/passwd and /etc/group (since the SIDs for various users
have changed, even if the names are the same).  This will need to be done
manually, using mkpasswd/mkgroup, or by running "rm /etc/passwd
/etc/group" and then reinstalling *just* the "base-passwd" package,

3) fix up directory and file permissions.  Once you have an up-to-date
/etc/passwd and /etc/group, a simple "chmod -R a+X /" ought to go a long
way, but you might also need to "chown" some files (logs, ssh host keys,
config files, etc) appropriately.

> It is possible to get a file with a list of all inst. programs to
> import this list to 2. Then do a setup and have the same release like
> 1.

Moving all of the Cygwin files to the other machine would have done this
for you already (setup keeps the list of installed packages in the cygwin
tree).  Simply running setup and selecting "Reinstall all" from a local
directory should do the "right" thing.  But it will be overkill, and
probably won't help you anyway if your /etc/passwd and /etc/group are out
of date (they will not be replaced unless you remove them first).

> Hope someone understand my English.

Your English is just fine.
HTH,
	Igor