RE: Can't print because .lnk makes printer name invalid

I don't know what you mean.

I can open and view the security tab on the properties section
of the Windows share.

I created a desktop shortcut to the printer and searched all
files for *servername.lnk but only the desktop link shows up.
I interpret this to mean that Cygwin itself is appending
'.lnk' to the printer share.

The short description of how links are handled in the Cygwin
FAQ leaves me confused to.  I have experience in Linux.
I have less experience in MS Windows and relatively no experience
where these intersect - such as Cygwin.